On July 20, 2016 Attorney General Maura Healey announced a deliberate misinterpretation of the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
As a result hundreds of thousands of law-abiding families instantly became “felons in waiting” overnight.
There was no due process, no public input, no members of the legislature debated the issue and the governor never signed it into law.
Families and individuals who lawfully own firearms are now threatened with a ten-year felony charge for owning firearms that were legal the day before her announcement. Hundreds of thousands of these firearms were legally bought and sold for over two decades, and they became illegal overnight. Since 1994, these firearms have been recognized by state and federal law as legal to possess, own, and sell.
Attorney General Healey's actions demonstrated a complete disregard for due process. Her actions were about advancing a political agenda for her personal gain.
No matter how you view firearms ownership, you should be concerned by her action! No single government official should be allowed to reinterpret existing law in a way that endangers hundreds of thousands of families and individuals.
Now, Attorney General Healey is unlawfully hiding information requested over three months ago in a FOIA request.
What's Healey Hiding?
Please see the information below and help us end her abuse of authority.
- 7/29/16 Senator Tarr's Legislation: An Act to Protect Due Process and Strengthen Public Safety Click here for summary - Click here to read actual bill
- 7/28/16 Letter to AG Healey from Rep. Fernandes with approval of 81 members of the house!
- Letter to AG Healey from Rep. Naughton
- Letter to AG Healey from Rep. Straus
- Rep. Lombardo's legislation - Bill HD.4949 189th (Current) An Act to the definition of assault weapon
- Senator Humason's legislation - Bill SD.2637 189th (Current) An Act clarifying firearms oversight
Healey's Enforcement Info:
Attorney General Healey's Website: Assault Weapons Ban Enforcement. On this page you will find all of the AG's press info, the enforcement notice, the infamous Q&A. and more.
Protests - Standouts
Follow hashtags #HealeyHurtsFamilies - #WhatsHealeyHiding
Jul 28, 2016
Massachusetts Attorney General Unilaterally Changes Gun Laws
Sep 15, 2016
"If they can do it so us, they can do it to you!"
GOAL Executive Director Jim Wallace on Boston Herald Radio - This is a great listen for anyone who does not understand the "big picture" issue regarding AG Healey's abusive overreach.
© 2015 Gun Owners' Action League. All Rights Reserved.