Action Alert Action Alert Action Alert Action Alert Action Alert
Attention GOAL Members:
1/21/12 update: 2 additional action items.
- Please contact your state rep. and state senator and ask them to "sign onto" GOAL's new legislation as a co-sponsor. See this page for a full listing of our new legisaltion! (please note the deadline for legislators to sign onto legislation is 2/1/13).
- Ask them not to sponsor or support Rep. Linsky's or Governor Patrick's new control legislation. (see below for more info) (see sample letter here)
Our Second Amendment Right to Keep and Bear Arms is under attack on many fronts.
Governor Deval Patrick, Representative David Linsky (D) Natick, and many others are in the process of, or already have filed new legislation which will severely restrict our second amendment rights while doing NOTHING to solve any real issues.
Once again our state legislators are committing "Blame and Punishment" of Massachusetts gun owners.
Among the many things our legislators are proposing:
- 10 round magazines loaded with more than 7 rounds, punishable by more than two years in jail.
- Magazines containing more than 10 rounds, punishable by up to 10 years in jail.
- Potential confiscation of lawfully purchased long guns and high capacity magazines (greater than 10 round capacity).
- A complete ban on semi-automatic rifles with certain cosmetic features. (AR type rifles)
- Up to 2 ½ years in jail for receiving more than 1 gun or magazine in a 30-day period.
- Mandatory large capacity guns storage at gun clubs instead of in home.
- Lawful private sales recorded on FA-10 forms will no longer be allowed.
- Ban "high power" ammunition. (there's been no definition provided as to what that is)
- Expanding local licensing authorities discretion to deny or restrict licenses to all guns including FID cards.
- Mandatory insurance for all firearms owners. (see link for more info)
- New proposed sales tax aimed at firearms/ammo purchase. (this has not been clarified)
- Mental and physical health waivers to be signed upon applying for a gun license
- Creating new crimes of assault with a firearm that requires no physical action by the lawful possessor
How to take action - what to do:
Today! Tomorrow! Every Day! Call - email - write:
Governor Deval Patrick: Phone: (617) 725-4005 or (888) 870-7770 (in state) Fax: (617) 727-9725. Every person that reads this should phone/fax him daily! You can also e-mail him by using the form on this page.
Your state rep and state senator's office: Find your state representative/senator here.
Tell them the Governor's bill and Rep. Linsky's new control legislation will do nothing to stop crime, or lower crime statistics, it will only continue to heap punishment on law abiding gun owners by further restricting and controlling what we can lawfully purchase, possess and do.
Urge them to stop the punishment of law abiding gun owners of Massachusetts.
When writing: Be brief, polite, and to the point. Use your own words - form letters etc.. don't get nearly the attention that a personalized short note gets!
Other action ideas:
- Get to know who your local and national legislators are. Make the personal contact them with and make them aware that you are simply the mechanic, plumber, carpenter, doctor or lawyer next door. Build on that relationship in a positive way so they become very familiar with who you are as a constituent and neighbor. Most local legislators have district office hours so that you can often make an appointment in your town and avoid having to make a special trip into the State House.
- Make an appointment and bring a few friends with some very clear points you would like to make and some suggestions and action items for them.
- Asking your local legislators to meet with a GOAL representative to get more detailed information is always helpful.
- Local state representatives and senators often have local fundraising events such as barbecues. Attend these events with friends and families and take a moment to mingle with the crowd and express your concerns over what is happening.
- Form a local discussion forum at the local school auditorium and VFW hall. Invite local politicians, law enforcement and a GOAL speaker to open up discussion about what really needs to be done and what has already not worked in Massachusetts.
- Make sure that GOAL has your email address so that you can receive our Friday News and periodic updates as more information comes in.
- Post information at your local club so that people without internet and email access are getting updates on action alerts.
- Spend just a few minutes at your club meetings going over what is happening at the State House. Invite your local legislators to a club meeting to address the members on what is happening and what they are doing to protect your rights and go after the human criminal element.
- And of course if you have friends that are not GOAL members, please ask them to join and support us.
Click here to view the full text of the governor's proposed legislation.
Click here to view the summary of Rep. Linsky's proposed legislation. Click here for the full text.
Click here for a very good presentation about semi automatic rifles which are often demonized by our legislators and the media as "Assault Rifles".
Click here for current information about owning a semi automatic rifle in Massachusetts
Click here to view the current licensing process in Massachusetts
*This page is made possible by the membership of GOAL and their generous donations. If you found this page helpful please Join - Support - Donate to GOAL.